Monday, September 26, 2011

In the Latest News, Newspapers Have Issues

Newspapers. Apparently they're dying, but I love them--there's just something about being able to hold something physical to read and not have to deal with the computer acting up that I love.

At the start of last year, I had barely begun to drown in homework. I was in a journalism class, and we had to get a subscription. Sweet, a reason for me to have daily reading material! So on a Friday, I mosied on over to the newspaper's website and found the convenient "subscription link." Awesomely, the paper wants to give me a gift for subscribing (wooo, $10 gift card to Kroger! College students love food!), so I fill in all the info and that's that.

Except that I never get a paper. So on Monday, I check the website and again and call the number provided, only to be faced with:

"Hello, thank you for calling Louisiana Options in Long-Term Care..."

Thanks, newspaper people, but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe after I graduate college?

I also live in Tennessee, but that's a minor detail.

It takes forever to find a correctly-listed phone number somewhere online. When I finally get ahold of a customer service person who sounds so much like an automated voice that I mistake her for one (oops), I find out that I do not, in fact have a subscription. Actually, there's no record of me anywhere. We start working on fixing this, until I remember that being credit card-less means my father has to pay, so there's another call to make.

"Remember to tell them I live in G Dorm," I tell him. "G Dorm. I can't find a street address for it, so make sure they know the name."

Soon, I have email confirmation! I can only dream of the comics and event notices I'll get soon, and also maybe the news, too.

Tuesday: No paper.

Wednesday: find paper in mailbox, located in a completely different building and also not accessible to non-school employees.

Thursday: No paper.

Friday: Call customer service again and get the most friendly, perky man in the entire universe. He confirms my address, which is correct except for the fact that they having me living in the boy's dorm on the other side of campus. I have no idea how that happened--my father does, actually, know exactly what dorm I live in, since he's had things delivered before, so this is a newspaper error. They refund money for the days I didn't get the paper, so no harm done, right?

It's nearly 5pm when I call, so he lets me know that this info might not be processed and if I don't get papers over the weekend, to be sure to call him back on Monday, you hear?

Please accept these cookies for being awesome, Mr. Happy Customer Service Man.

Saturday: No paper.

Sunday: No paper

Monday: Call customer service and end up with a perfectly nice (but not Mr. Happy) lady. She confirms my address...and again, I am living in the boys dorm. Sinful! I try to explain that no, there is no street address for my dorm. It's just "G Dorm." No, you can't get to my door, the paper should be fine if delivered to the front porch. No, really, there is no street address.

Tuesday: Get a voicemail from the poor, confused carrier trying to figure out if my newest address is correct. Gleefully discover a long plastic bag with my name on it, and shoot off an email to the paper saying yes, address is now correct and did I mention how nice it was to get the paper for the first time in nearly a week?.

Not that I was counting, or anything.

Also, still waiting on that Kroger gift card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...